Establish a smoke-free environment
Promote physical activity during the workday
- Promoting the use of nearby walking or biking trails, and providing a map marked with distances
- Encouraging stand-up or walking meetings
- Recommending employees take 3 minutes every hour to stand up and stretch
- Consider offering discounted memberships to local heath clubs. If you have space and a larger budget, consider creating an on-site gym.
- Provide pedometers to employees and encourage them to reach a certain number of steps each day or week. Consider starting an informal competition for who can take the most steps in a week/month and offer prizes.
Make modifications and upgrades to your employees’ workstations
Offer healthy food in the workplace
Keep a clean work environment
Although most wellness programs address disease management and help make unhealthy employees healthier, paying attention to protecting and supporting those employees who are already committed to healthy living is just as important to your workplace wellness initiatives.